03' 4Runner V8 - "Pearl" The Prerunner Poser

I've killed one like that before to, 4.56s and all. Took 2 off the pinion gear and 4 off the ring gear. I suspect it was from shock loading it over time because when mine blew, it was not under load. If you got 4 years out of it, that probably a good sign you can put off a full housing for a bit but it may still be worth doing.

Sean
Starting to think about that Shockproof 250w for the rear diff once it's broken in.

Any lights on or electrical gremlins you needed to work out?
The 4x4 ecu gets unplugged (no longer needed) and you can patch the dash lights into the manual t-case wiring. So 4hi connects to the diff lock light and 4Lo connects to the 4Lo light on the dash. Gotta catch a flight this morning, but I'll try and find the wiring info later today.

Any lights on or electrical gremlins you needed to work out?
As far as ABS and Trac, I've had that system turned off for years, so the lights are always on. Pretty sure disconnecting the 4x4 ecu will trigger those same lights and render your ABS inoperable, but it does not cause any drive ability issues.
All I did was wire up the solenoids in the tcase to the dash lights for "Center Diff Lock" and "4Lo".
Not sure if the wire colors are consistent across years for the 4th gens or not but on my 2003, it was the green w/ red stripe wire for the CDL light and the brown w/ white stripe for the 4LO light. These wires are unpinned from the plug going to the 4x4 ecu. So when in 4Hi, the center diff lock light is illuminated, when in 4Lo, the 4Lo light is illuminated. I grounded these circuits inside the cab under the shifter to keep that connection clean and out of the elements. The two connections exposed under the trans tunnel were put in heat shrink to protect against corrosion.

Last edited:
Back